Tower Hamlets Town Hall
Whitechapel’s old Royal London Hospital building forms part of the new Tower Hamlets Town Hall. Built in 1757, the grade II listed building had famous former occupants including Joseph Merrick and Edith Cavell.
Architects AHMM designed the project, which includes an impressive 6-level office extension accommodating nearly 2500 office staff. A new council chamber and other meeting facilities are located on the ground level.
Atelier Ten was responsible for the lighting design within the building. This was part of the Mechanical Electrical Plumbing (MEP) design where “the aim was to balance the competing demands of function, comfort and energy use by selecting systems that are effective and efficient”.
Custom slender cylindrical LED pendants suspended within the central atrium contribute to the visual cohesion of the space, drawing attention to the higher level and the volume of the atrium. The pendants offer a clear presence without being dominant.